Vegan frittata. Taste great, but not so pretty. I used ground brown lentils as well as my vegan omelette mix to make the frittata have its shape and some of the taste; and a cashew based sauce for when it’s served for the extra “cheesiness”. I loved everything about it except the lentils. Brown lentils have a strong taste that while I love, I think was not right for this recipe. Substitute red or yellow lentils.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 and 1/2 cups of prepared omelette mix ( come out to approx 1 cup besan flour, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 3 tablespoons flax, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and 2 cups and 1/2 cup of water.)
- 1/2 -1 cup of water (as needed)
- 3-4 small – medium potatoes. Sliced and cut into half moons.
- 1-2 cups of chopped broccoli tops
- 1/4 cup of sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 2 tablespoons of diced garlic
- Oregano, parsley, basil, black pepper, cayenne, salt to taste.
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup cashew
- 1 tablespoon almond butter.
- 1 cup water
- Make omelette mix and set aside till you have finished constructing the frittata.
- Put lentils and spices in the blender to you have a fine-ish powder.
- Layer in the following method, leaving smallish spaces throughout to allow the liquids to trickle down.
- Half of onion
- 1/3 of lentil powder
- Sweet potato
- 1/4 of lentil powder
- Pour the omelette mix evenly over the top.Should start to slower seep into the crevices. You can use a butter knife or a chopstick to aid the draining.
- When you are satisfied that the omelette mix has settled, spread the garlic over the top layer of potatoes and drizzle olive oil over it.
- Add the last of the lentil powder and sprinkle water on top.
- Cover with foil and bake on 350 degrees for approx 40 mins.
Add water periodically to ensure lentils are cooking through. When they frittata is cooked a fork will easily go through the potatoes and the top layers of lentils should be soggy in touch and appearance. Bake the frittata to finish cooking the lentils.
- While the frittata is in its last bake cycle, blend the mixture for the cream drizzle.
Lentils in this are “optional”. They are a substitute for the protein that is missing from the eggs, cheese, and milk. Use can use other pre-cooked beans to make a paste between the layers.